Motorola Milestone comes to StarHub – and it’s cheap

March 27th, 2010 | by Alfred Siew

It’s official.

Two months after Techgoondu first broke the news that the Motorola Milestone was coming to Singapore via StarHub in March, the companies have unveiled that the much sought-after phone will go on sale this weekend.

The Android 2.1 phone with a keyboard is not just slim but also runs fast with Google’s latest OS that seems to be gobbling up the market, effortlessly adding more phone makers under its banner each month.

Besides the expected features, the Milestone has something that many Android users here have yet to enjoy – turn-by-turn navigation via MotoNav. This is a cheap alternative to the GPS in your car now.

And here’s the good news for all you anxious fans who have been waiting for a fast smartphone with a handy keyboard: the Milestone is cheap!

Prices start from just S$198 with a two-year subscription to a S$38-a-month voice-cum-data plan with StarHub. The phone is free if you subscribe to its high-end plans that costs S$98 or more a month.

If you want to buy the phone without a plan, it’d cost S$888.

Here’s the lowdown.

Items 3G SmartSurf 100 3G SmartSurf 300 3G SmartSurf 700 3G SmartSurf Unlimited
Monthly Subscription (w/GST) $38 $58 $98 $205
Voice credit (mins) 100 300 700 2000
SMS/MMS credit 500 500 500 2000
Data credit (GB) 12 12 12 Unlimited
Data usage price cap $30 $30 $30 N.A.
MILESTONE pricing $198 $98 $00 $00

It’s turning out to be an Android party this year, and that’s a good thing because it gives people choice (take that, one-shaped iPhone).

Come next month, the HTC Legend is coming to town, and the HTC Desire – essentially a modified version of Google’s Nexus One – should be here shortly after as well. And we have not talked about Sony Ericsson and Samsung yet.

Advertisements

20 Comments

1. Rudy says:

Hi Kenneth, I want to sell my milestone (with ketboard) i bought under contract from Starhub, on June 2010. Reason to sell, because i want to change to Blackberry. I want to sell at 700 SGD.(nego) All the stuff still complete including guarantee card and cd. If anyone interested please put your number on my email goh1083@yahoo.com and I will call u back. Tks.

2. kenneth says:

I really hope they will not stop the offer till August, as i’m planning to buy it in August.. T__T Don’t go Motorola Milestone!

3. Alfred Siew says:

I believe StarHub is still selling the original Milestone:

4. kenneth says:

Hey people, is this contract still on? Because I thought they only released the Motorola Milestone XT and not the Motorola Milestone? XT=No Keyboard, Normal Milestone=W/Keyboard.. I want to buy the one with keyboard, will the offer end soon? Pleade tell me no, thanks.

5. Alfred Siew says:

Hey Eve, in order of “goodness”, it’s Nexus One, Milestone and Dext. The N1 has a faster processor, better screen and camera, but no keyboard (it’s also expensive because you have to ship from the US without operator discount – look out for the similar HTC Desire out here soon). The Milestone is the best bang for buck coz of its price, but you gotta be on StarHub (or buy at about S$600 off the grey market – S$888 without plan at StarHub shop). The Dext is good, but has a poorer screen and uses an older version of the Android OS. For a first time Android user, Milestone is the best deal!

6. Eve Yap says:

So, Alf, what is your advice? Should what can we expect from the revised Nexus One versus the Milestone. Or, should a real tech goondu like me, just get the Milestone (its specs seem impressive) – and the touchscreen is better than the Dect’s.

7. Alfred Siew says:

Agree with you there, Mike. I’m keeping my N1. I’m just wondering how much the HTC Desire will sell for when it’s here. I like the optical tracking more than the N1’s trackball.

In any case, the one phone that is now very deep in water is the Moto Dext. It costs as much or more at SingTel, as least when I saw it yesterday at a shop.

8. Michael Tan says:

not to mention, HTC has released an entire flurry of new phones!

9. Michael Tan says:

Nexus one is slimmer, lighter, more power efficient, FASTER, without a keyboard but with the advent of Skype that’s academic. It’s also less buggy and has double the amount of memory. Now there’s only price – but then Nexus One owners could recontract with a free iPhone 3GS and sell that iPhone for even extra cash in the pocket after buying a Nexus ONE from google.

WTF then?

10. Jun says:

Ah… why is it that uber cool phone names become ‘meh’ when they reach our shores???

11. motd says:

If you are talking about specs. Nexus One would be a much better device imo. Nexus One is running on Qualcomm QSD 8250 1 GHz while Milestone is on TI OMAP3430 600 MHz.

Milestone pricing is hard to beat. $198 for specs like Milestone is very attractive. I wonder what would be the price like for HTC Legend and HTC Desire when they arrive on SG shores.

12. Albert says:

Can we expect a detailed review, especially one that compares it against the Nexus One